5/23/2013

Berlin - May 2013

 
Berlin again. Not even four months after my last visit, Berlin again. My choir friends love to travel together, and last year we started to visit (former) members of the choir who moved to interesting places. So now, after Paris in 2012, it was Berlin. Actually I was not so sure what to think about this short trip, especially because we'd decided to travel by train (which takes an awful 6 hours and turned out to be ok for the way there and hugely annoying on the way back, when we arrived home after midnight). But in the end we had a great time. We stayed at Die Fabrik in Kreuzberg, a really special place I would recommend if you'd like to stay in a cool location and don't mind a short trip with the bahn to the city centre.
Kreuzberg is a part of Berlin I didn't know very well before, I have visited the East Side Gallery right after the restoration in 2009, but otherwise I spent most of my time in Berlin so far in Mitte and Friedrichshain because my friends live there. Anyway, I had the possiblity to get to know Kreuzberg a bit and I liked it right away, it is a very lively, colourful and buzzing place. I'm not so much into nightlife, but according to my friends this is also one of Kreuzberg's assets. 
What I like better: walking around, taking pictures, having coffee and checking out nice restaurants, flee markets (I've visited the one at Boxhagener Platz this time, it's really nice), and watching clouds. When it comes to cafés and restaurants, Kreuzberg offers an overwhelming number of possibilities. We had the chance to test some of them for brunch and dinner. I liked them all, we've had brunch at Salon Schmück, see the pictures above, it was truly fantastic - and at Kantina von Hugo, which has been a very nice journey through time as they serve grandma's favourite dishes. The best dinner location this time has been Freischwimmer, it's a really cool open-air restaurant and bar directly at the river Spree. And on one evening I took some of my friends to Ruz, my favourite place for tapas in Berlin. They don't have a website at the moment, but it's situated directly opposite the famous Clärchens Ballhaus in Auguststrasse.
Of course we did not only enjoy Berlin's cafés and restaurants, we also gave a concert which has been a nice and exciting experience as always when we sing for an audience that doesn't know us. People at Marienfelde were really welcoming and it was a pleasure to sing for them. 
Again, Berlin has managed to win over a piece of my heart. I see it coming, we'll be friends some day. 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment